MENU × BUSINESS
Banking And InsuranceCryptocurrencyDigital MarketingErpFood And BeveragesHealthcareLegalMarketing And AdvertisingMedia And EntertainmentMetals And MiningOil And GasRetailTelecom
TECHNOLOGY
Artificial IntelligenceBig DataCloudCyber SecurityE CommerceEducationGaming And VfxIT ServiceMobileNetworkingSAPScience And TechnologySecuritySoftwareStorage
PLATFORM
CiscoDatabaseGoogleIBMJuniperM2MMicrosoftOracleOracleRed Hat
LEADERSHIP
CEO ReviewCompany Review
MAGAZINE
ASIA INDIA
STARTUPS CLIENT SPEAK CONTACT US

The Silicon Review Asia

With War Chest of Rs 120 Crore, Star India-owned Hotstar Plans to Take on Rivals in Original Content Production Race

With War Chest of Rs 120 Crore, Star India-owned Hotstar Plans to Take on Rivals in Original Content Production Race

Hotstar, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video India rival, plans to invest Rs 120 crore into local and original content in the country. The Star India-owned platform is feeling pressure from the rivals as they have been investing heavily into such content.

So far, Hotstar has entirely relied on catch-up content from Star India’s channels, films and sports. The platform has over 150 million monthly active users with the highest number of downloads which is over 350 million, The Economics Times reported.

According to the report, 80 percent of the viewership on Hotstar comes from movies and drama while the remaining 20 percent comes from sports that include BBCI matches, Indian Premier League, Pro Kabaddi etc.

Managing Director Star India, Sanjay Gupta, while interacting with ET said: “Till two or three years back, there were only 200 million screens available to consumers between TV, mobile phones, and theatres all put together. Today, given the data revolution in the past two years, content is being consumed over 600 million screens. The big change is that now there is at least one screen for each person in a large number of urban or rural household, who want content for themselves.”

Hotstar has decided to “take the leap’ on content as consumers’ expectation is changing.

Mr. Gupta did not confirm that the platform has earmarked Rs 120 crore for original content, although sources within Star India have confirmed to ET that the video-on-demand platform is making the move, the report said.

“Right now, the plan is to spend up to Rs 120 crore on ‘Hotstar Specials’. Depending on the performance, the budget could be extended by another Rs 50 odd crore,” the source was quoted as saying.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Tariff plans will cost higher from the next financial year as telecom companies are gearing up to increase rates

The ongoing Covid pandemic had significantly increased the number of mobile and internet users worldwide. The high amount of usage is expected to drop...

Business Travelers to Stay at Singapore’s Changi Airport Bubble

Singapore’s open economy depends heavily on tourism and business. But its vibrant but small economy has been hurting as the circumstances due to...

Countries in Asia-Pacific are marching towards ‘green recovery’ amidst Covid-19 crisis

2020 has been an unforgettable year for many of us. The ongoing Covid crisis has reminded people that it is very important to have an uninterrupted an...

Department of Telecommunication to announce the new schedule for 5G trials

Department of Telecommunications (DoT) is all set to announce the new schedule for 5G trials. The Dot made this decision after being pulled by the par...

RECOMMENDED